Monday, March 21, 2011

Mahi Fish Tacos and Orange Rice

So one of my goals when starting this blog was to hold myself accountable for my menus and grocery shopping on a budget.

Sooo after a morning of grocery shopping, cleaning up pee from my daughter, throw up from my dog, consoling a little boy who was thrown off the step onto his head by his dog, doing a little monogramming and applique and then tackling my LOADS of laundry I was able to make a yummy dinner for Tripp. I try to cook every not. Not always something involved, we had hot dogs after church yesterday, but I cook something. Not only is it cheaper, it also is one of my love languages. It is how I show people I love them. So if you have received a meal from me... well there ya go!

I am not going to go into alot of shopping, but there a few things I am going to touch on. I budget about $125 for all thing I get at the grocery store every week (diapers, paper towel, laundry detergent, all food, etc) I also choose to spend more for things like organic meet and lots of fruits and veggies. My goal is to stay on the outside of the grocery store and venture down an isle for juice or pasta, a few canned veggies, soups, and cereal. I usually buy all my meat at Costco but today I did buy my fish at Publix and some skirt steak for the Phillys later this week.

A myth- Frozen fish isn't as good as fresh- Now I know this can be true, but I have found that being in North Alabama almost all the fish is frozen and I was getting Mahi for the tacos.. now in the fish counter the fillets were $8.99 a piece... $18 for a dinner is a little over my budget not including anything but the meat. In the freezer right next to the fish counter was 2 fillets (a little larger) for $7.99. Now I have married a fish snob and after the fish was cooked correctly he could not tell it had been frozen fish.

I do a menu for the month at the beginning of this month, so I have a calendar with meals until April 9th. This week we have....
Mon- Mahi Fish Tacos with Orange rice and black beans
Tues- Feta stuffed chicken with a greek pasta salad
Wed- Date night with Tripp
Thurs- Philly Cheese-steaks with fruit salad
Friday- Sausage Peppers and Onions with spaghetti
Sat- Lunch-Leftovers... Dinner - fish sammies
Sun- Lunch- Soup and Sammies...Dinner

Tonight was Mahi tacos, Orange Rice and Black Beans
Here is the skinny

























Fish Marinate
1/4 c veg oil
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
juice of 2 limes
1 jalapeno Chopped

Marinate for 20 min
Cook on Grill for 4min on each side depending on the thickness of your fish

Grill the tortillas until you get some grill marks then garnish with romaine lettuce, thinly sliced onion, avocado, and sour cream.

Rice-
2 c chicken stock
1 tbls butter
Zest of 1 orange
1 c rice

Bring to boil all ingredients then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until all moisture is absorbed (about 20 min) then fluff with fork and add the juice of the orange.

Serve with Black beans and a side of lime for the fish and orange to snack on.
Big hit with my family

1 comment:

  1. Oops, you DID blog on your food. Check the blog, lindsay!!! :)

    YUM.

    ReplyDelete