Friday, May 18, 2012

Freezing Ahead

I have been pretty good at planning meals. For over a year I have planned AT LEAST a week out, usually a month out. As summer get closer and it may feel like we have MORE time, but for me with my 2 & 3 yr olds at home all day every day (no MMO) I actually don't have as much time in the kitchen.
That all said my newest summer goal was to cook meals over a time of 2-3 weeks that would not only feed my family but STOCK MY FREEZER without spending a whole day in the kitchen.

So here is the run down of not only what I have done, but what is planned.

There are a few categories.... Starter meat (just put together for quick meals), Casserole dishes, Crock pot dishes, Soups.

1. Taco Chicken- 5 (1+cup portions)- I found this on Pinterest - I jar of salsa (i used a mango salsa for the summer,) a pkg of taco seasoning and 6 chicken breasts all in the crockpot. (as you will see a bunch of these recipes). We use this for tacos, taco salads, BBQ nachos, burritos (Basically any "mexican" themed meal)


2. Chicken, Spinach and Artichoke Pasta- 3 Pans - Again another pinterest find. Here I did add shredded roasted chicken.



3. Meatloaf- 3 Loaves in the freezer. I love meatloaf and have a great recipe. Find one you love and it usually freezes well!

4. Roast Chicken shreded- 4 (1 cup portions) This I use all the time. I had to pastas, soups, top salads, make chicken wraps, chicken salad etc....

5. Chicken enchiladas- 2 pans frozen- Really any recipe you like.

6. BBQ Chicken Crock Pot meal- this we ate one and I froze one, and I am glad I didn't make more. It was okay, but it was more sweet stew then BBQ anything.

7. Frozen Burritos- 10-12 I just make extra meat on taco night and put together burritos. Rice, beans, meat, salsa and cheese. Individually wrap in aluminum foil and to reheat put in 375 degrees for 45 min.

On top of those I keep in my freezer for quick meals.
8. portioned ground beef and chicken
9. Pork tenderloin
10. Shrimp
11. Tilapia
seafood thaws quick and I can throw a quick shrimp or fish dish together in about 15 min
12. Andoullie chicken sausage
13. Hot Dogs for the kids
14. Bacon
15. Sausage patties
16. Steaks (usually I buy a tenderloin and break it down, but I have NY strips right now)

I just made a baked french toast (perfect for weekend breakfast) this is my first time trying to freeze.

To Dos:
Breakfast Casserole
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Breakfast burritos

To Wrap up this little post my freezer is getting pretty stocked for the summer. It has been easy since I have been doing it along the way and not all at one time.

Side Note: I love my vacuum sealer.... it has saved me a TON of money and my food freezes great. I buy all my meat in bulk and break it down and vacuum seal.


No comments:

Post a Comment